Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A colorized photo of Berta Beson performing

another post fom my last blog:

I found a photo of Berta Beeson!


I wrote in an earlier post that I'm pretty seriously considering
writing a play about Frank "Slats" Beeson, a famous female
impersonating wire walker for Ringling Brothers circus,
who performed under the name Berta Beeson.
Anyways - in one of my circus books, I stumbled on this
photo of Berta Beeson performing -and this is the only
actual photo I've seen of him performing - so I'm really
excited about this -the photo is black and white so I did
a quick colorizing of it and turned it into a caption -
but it's the black and white photo that I found that I really
like - partly because it does confirm that this wasn't a farce,
he was an attractive, talented performer -the book goes on
to say that the program notes include the tag
"Expect a lot, and Boy, oh Boy you get it"
Yes, we get it - as I said in my earlier post, Ringling Brothers
were savy enough to market an act to attract gay men to. I'd go. 

1 comment:

  1. I have an original photo of Berta Beeson, from the legendary circus photographer H.A. Atwell. It has some slight damage to the photo, but nothing which impacts the image of the performer, seated in full costume and parasol, on a high wire. An amazing photo 11x14 inches. If you are interested, I will sell this photo for $275 + shipping and insurance.
    My email: cooljerk1949@gmail.com. Sincerely, Steve Feldman

    ReplyDelete